Happy Martin Luther King Day, Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO. Public schools and government buildings are closed, and there are many opportunities to commemorate the civil rights movement.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Morning rain, then snow showers. High: 44 Low: 27.
Here are today’s top three stories in Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO:
- Lincoln Restler appeared on WBAI radio yesterday. He spoke about the growth of the council’s 33rd district over the past ten years, which now houses 220,000 people, one in four of whom pays the majority of their income in rent. He also mentioned the “two dozen empty storefronts” on Montague Street as an indication of bigger issues to be addressed. (WBAI)
- Brooklyn politicians, including Nydia Velazquez, sent a letter to Governor Kathy Hochul asking her to extend the state’s eviction moratorium, which has now officially expired. (Brooklyn Reader)
- Winter is one of the best seasons to watch ducks in New York, when many species that breed in Alaska and Canada descend to our (slightly) milder climate. (gothamist)
From our sponsor:
Today Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez Loan Officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO:
- Brooklyn Unites for National MLK Service Day, at various locations in the borough. (11 a.m.)
From my notebook:
- The latest play at St. Ann’s Warehouse in DUMBO, The Supremacy Project, “addresses the systemic oppression and violence that BIPOC communities are struggling to end through art.” (Instagram)
- Saturday being national bagel day did not go unnoticed by Montague Street Submission. (Instagram)
- There’s a new pop-up COVID testing site at the Fulton Mall, Downtown Brooklyn, every Sunday the rest of January. (Twitter)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now aware and ready to go out this Monday! I’ll join you early tomorrow morning with another update.