Detained teenagers on hunger strike in Sudan


Two young men who were arrested for killing a police brigadier in Khartoum in January have been on hunger strike since Monday, demanding that the public prosecutor investigate the charges.

The defense team of Mohamed Adam ‘Tubak’ (17) and Mohamed El Fateh (18) said in a statement on Tuesday that the defendants had started a hunger strike because they had been subjected to inhuman treatment and excessive violence by the police. -at the top”.

The lawyers pointed out that they were forced to register judicial confessions under pressure, terrorism and torture, forced to confess to the crime at gunpoint, seized the instrument of crime and the stood up after two a.m. in the intense presence of security forces, prevented them from meeting their families and lawyers, and concealed their location from their families and lawyers.

The detainees’ legs are shackled with iron chains and imprisoned in very poor conditions. The legal team was prevented from knowing where the suspects were and the reason for the arrest of their clients.

The authority reported that the prosecutor refused to investigate and open a report on the constitutional and legal abuses that took place against the suspects.

National and international voices have demanded the release of the teenagers, following reports of torture in detention. In a statement released last week, Amnesty International wrote that “there are credible concerns that young people have been abducted and detained without charge, in violation of their due process rights, and subjected to torture while in detention. “.


Mohamed Adam, nicknamed ‘Tubak’, and Mohamed El Fateh, nicknamed ‘El Nana’, have been detained without charge since they were violently arrested on January 14 in Khartoum in connection with the stabbing of Brig Ali Bereima during March of the Millions on January 13.

During the first three weeks of their detention, they were held incommunicado without having access to their family, a lawyer or a doctor. Throughout their detention, the two activists were subjected to torture.

Tubak was arrested while in hospital for treatment after he was shot in the leg while walking.

In January, lawyer Iman Hasan told Radio Dabanga that the two detainees were questioned about sources of funding for the protests and about members of resistance committees, but not about the police brigadier they were accused of. having stabbed.

Authorities hold them responsible for the murder of Brig Bereima during the protests. Various Sudanese, however, reported on social media that Brigadier Ali Bereima had been killed a week earlier. Others tweeted that the police officer was killed in the early morning hours of January 13, as protests began much later that day.


Lawyer Iman Hassan said in January that Adam was repeatedly beaten in the injured leg while in custody and that El Fateh, from Wad Madani in El Gezira, suffered head and hand injuries. She also reported that both had been severely beaten and electrocuted.

Tubak’s mother reported that she saw two nails driven into her legs, which were also beaten while still injured from gunshot wounds sustained during the protests. These injuries left him unable to walk, Amnesty reported.

Tubak’s mother also said her son had blood pressure problems but was not allowed to see a doctor or take medication. Requests for the detainees to be examined by doctors have been denied, although this is permitted by Sudanese law.

As previously reported by Radio Dabanga, Tubak was constantly beaten, the bandage was removed from his broken leg without medical supervision and he was deprived of water. His lawyers reported that he is constantly shackled.

Lawyer Hasan says Tubak suffers from swelling in his nose from shotgun butt blows, swelling behind his ear and an inability to stand. She also explained that El Nana suffered injuries to his back as a result of torture.

Tubak is now on a hunger strike to protest their arbitrary detention, Amnesty said in its statement.

Another lawyer said she saw cigarette burns on El Fateh’s head and that he was not allowed to have visitors: “I think they didn’t want us to see him because it was in poor condition”.


Comments are closed.